Ragna í New York

20. október 2006

Girls and math

Lucy pointed this article out to me, Exposure to Scientific Theories Affects Women's Math Performance.
I reccomend everyone should read it.

Since high school I've gone through the most math orientated studies you can go through in Iceland (at least in my opinion). Because of my "math knowledge" and being a female, I've also been interviewed more than once. What is my point, well Iceland is a small country and I basically know everyone my age that is studying math/statistics. You can just plainly see how terrified a lot of women are of math and that I've been interviewed just because I'm female and doing something math related just plainly tells you this is something unusual, at least in the publics eye.

Now about this article, I remember from high school, there were four of us girls in my class. All of us had so much trouble with our physics class (or at least we thought we had so much trouble). From what we had heard before taking the physics class was that the girls the year before us at so much trouble too. I remember when, before one of our exams, Ásdís said to Valla, Bjarnheiður and I: "Girls we just have to tell ourselves, We do know physics, We do know physics".

Now this article just convinced me that what we did before this exam some years ago actually might have worked, thanks Ásdís ;)

Just for your information, Ásdís is a 2nd year PhD student in engineering at UCSB, Bjarnheiður is starting her masters program in operation research (am I right Bjarnheiður?) in Freiburg, Germany and Valla just started her masters program in biomedical engineering at Drexel, Philadelphia. You all know what I'm doing these days. Obviously our physics mantra worked, all I want to say now is power to all girls!

Þann 22 október, 2006 03:06, sagði Anonymous Nafnlaus...

i agree - ásdís was our #1 physics coach :D

yup, around here they don't have masters programme for mathematics yet, but i'm doing the latter part of the german diplom which is a program that equals our bachelor and masters program (puts these two together). initially i went here for operations research, but then i discovered such an exciting thing called "mathematical methods within the computer sciences and communication technologies" - so that's what i'm doing now :)

 
Þann 08 desember, 2006 20:56, sagði Anonymous Nafnlaus...

Hi there. This is someone from the statistics department, with whom you recently did a project for a modeling class. :)

Anyway, I found this article when googling for your blog, although this article isn't attached to your blog any more. It reminded me of this blog: http://talldarkandmysterious.ca/

She has a lot of sarcastic and darkly humorous things to say about math, math education, graphing calculators, politics and finally the "girls and math" issue. I enjoy it a LOT.

 
Viltu tjá þig?

Ef einhver mun nokkurn tí­ma lesa þetta þá má hinn sami láta mig vita. Verðlaunin eru kvöldmatur - ég splæsi. If someone will ever read this then you can let me know. You'll have to tell me were on the webpage this code is. The prize, dinner on me. Condition is that you have to know me ;)